I am an Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (EECS) in the School of Engineering at the University of California, Merced. My primary research interests are in the area of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI).
As a researcher, my goal is to make computer technologies accessible to everyone by developing natural and intuitive input and interaction techniques. Towards that, I study the existing techniques, identify issues with them, and then target those issues from theoretical, behavioral, and practical standpoints. A major thread of my work focuses on smarter solutions for text entry, error correction, and editing on various devices. My other interests include mobile interaction, tangible user interfaces, child-computer interaction, usable security, and scientific data visualization.
I received my PhD in Computer Science (HCI) in 2013 from York University working with Dr. Wolfgang Stuerzlinger. I then joined Flowton Technologies as a Postdoctoral Fellow to lead an NSERC ENGAGE funded project. Upon completion of the project in 2014, I joined Ryerson University as a Postdoctoral Fellow, where I worked with Dr. Alexandra (Ali) Mazalek until joining UC Merced in 2017. I was also a Research Intern at Microsoft Research, Redmond in 2012, working with Drs. Bill Buxton, Ken Hinckley, and Michel Pahud. I obtained my MSc and BSc in Computer Science from Lakehead University (Middleware & Web Security) and Trent University (3-D Visualization), respectively.
Consultation—Contact me for assistance with the evaluation of a research or commercial product's performance, effectiveness, and/or usability.
Prospective Students (Currently Hiring)
I am always looking for hard-working, self-motivated, and scientifically curious students to join my research group. A range of graduate and undergraduate projects are available. You must have strong skills in computer programming, interaction design, and/or quantitative research methods. Visit the Information for Prospective Students page for more information. Current UC Merced students, complete the (requires institutional login) to express interest in working with me. Like our Student Background and Interests FormFacebook page to keep updated on lab news, including research opportunities, publications, and details on how to participate in our user studies.
- August 11, 2017 I am pleased to be one of the seven recipients of this year's IEEE SMC Young Professionals Travel Grant.
- July 2, 2017 An extended abstract on the results of a pilot study evaluating Paper Ladder: A Rating Scale to Collect Children's Opinion in User Studies (watch a video) got accepted to the 19th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services (MobileHCI 2017). Visit this for more information on the extended abstract and to download the Paper Ladder. website
- May 25, 2017 Two full-papers, one on the Effects of Different Types of Correctness Feedback on Children's Performance with a Mobile Math App (watch a video) and another Mobile Text Entry Challenges Among Low-Income Users in a Developing Country got accepted to the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC 2017).
- May 15, 2017 Pleased to announce that I have accepted a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (EECS) in the School of Engineering at the University of California, Merced, starting July 1, 2017. Read my post. Facebook
- April 18, 2017 I am on the Program Committee for the 12th ACM International Conference on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces (ISS 2017). Do consider submitting your work. Please visit the conference for more information. website