I am an Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of California, Merced, where I lead the Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) Group.
As a researcher, my goal is to make computer technologies accessible to everyone by developing natural and intuitive input and interaction techniques. Towards that, I study the existing techniques, identify issues with them, and then target those issues from theoretical, behavioral, and practical standpoints. A major thread of my work focuses on smarter solutions for text entry, error correction, and editing on various devices. My other interests include mobile interaction, tangible user interfaces, child-computer interaction, usable security, and scientific data visualization.
I received my PhD in Computer Science (HCI) in 2013 from York University working with Dr. Wolfgang Stuerzlinger. I then joined Flowton Technologies as a Postdoctoral Fellow to lead an NSERC ENGAGE funded project. Upon completion of the project in 2014, I joined Ryerson University as a Postdoctoral Fellow, where I worked with Dr. Alexandra (Ali) Mazalek until joining UC Merced in 2017. I was also a Research Intern at Microsoft Research, Redmond in 2012, working with Drs. Bill Buxton, Ken Hinckley, and Michel Pahud. I obtained my MSc and BSc in Computer Science from Lakehead University (Web Service & Security) and Trent University (), respectively 3D Radiation Visualization.
Contact me if you require assistance with the evaluation of a research or commercial product's performance, effectiveness, and usability.
Graduate Students (Currently Hiring)
I am always looking for hard-working, self-motivated, and scientifically curious students to join my research group. A range of graduate and undergraduate projects are available. The candidate must have strong skills in computer programming, interaction design, and/or quantitative research methods. Visit Information for Prospective Students for further details. Current UC Merced students, complete the (requires institutional login) to express interest in working with me. Like our Student Background & Interests Form page to keep updated on lab news, including research opportunities, publications, and details on how to participate in our studies. Facebook
Other Research Positions
Contact me for information on Research Specialist and Postdoctoral Fellow positions. Unpaid on-campus or remote volunteering opportunities are also available.
- January 15, 2018 WebTEM: A Web Application to Record Text Entry Metrics 2.0 is now live! You can access it via http://webtem.site. This version improves the look-and-feel, includes new performance metrics and experimental conditions, and most excitingly, supports remote/in-the-wild user studies. See the Update Log for other exciting changes. Email me to report bugs, request new feature, or for access to an older version.
- January 8, 2018 I am on the Program Committee for the ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for Television and Online Video (TVX 2018).
- January 2, 2018 I am on the Program Committee for the 20th ACM International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services (MobileHCI 2018).
- December 26, 2017 Invitation to join my newly designed graduate course (4 Units) EECS 255: Advanced Human-Computer Interactions (HCI) is out. See here Facebook
- December 26, 2017 Pleased to receive (multiple) special recognition for excellent review for the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) 2018.